Tuesday 5 April 2016

48 Hours in Florence...


Hi Friends,

So last week I had an AMAZING trip to florence from Tuesday to Thursday morning. We set off bright and early and made it to Florence by about 2pm. We then left Thursday morning at 12 so I thought I'd sum up what you can fit into 48 hours in Italy, Florence! 

Tuesday we arrived in Florence at about 3pm. Trying to fit EVERYTHING in we went straight to the Duomo and walked around this incredible building. We then spent the afternoon in the museum and walking around the local area. The architecture in Florence is my favourite part, it's just extremely overwhelming and beautiful. 


We also spent some time in the Duomo baptistry looking at the ceiling - no photo can accurately represent how beautiful it is. The detail involved in this creation is incredible. 


The next day we went straight to San Marco. This is a church and a convent, home to a work of art which I am writing an essay on over the next few months! This is the Annunciation by Fra Angelico. We spent a long time here and I was not at all disappointed to see the work in real life. 


Unfortunately, I then spent most of the afternoon back at the hotel making notes from what I'd seen and frantically typing work! My mum and sister went out to see more art but I knew that the reason for the whole trip was to have seen this one piece and that I needed to make all my notes straight away. 


That evening we went to dinner at a really cool place called Quinoa. Everything they cook is gluten free which is perfect for me. I had pasta which was AMAZING - these Italians know how to cook! 


The next morning we went into the main part of the Cathedral. I particularly LOVE stained glass windows because I think the vibrancy of the colours looks amazing. 


We then went to the Bargello which had a beautiful Chapel ceiling. I was able to see MORE art that I've been studying this year which was a fantastic experience. It's very different to talk about art you haven't seen to seeing it and understanding the details you've written about. I realise how lucky I am to have had this experience and I am so grateful. 


After the Bargello we went to the airport! The end of a very quick trip. I thoroughly enjoyed this time with my sister and mum. I don't live with them any more so any time I am with them is really special to me. My sister is my best friend and understands me so well. My mum is the best one out there, seriously. She's caring and so loving, I will be unbelievably disappointed if I don't grow up to be just like her. 


I hope this has given you some inspiration if you are ever in Florence for a quick or long stay! 

Love & hugs,

No comments:

Post a Comment